Mrs. Sherry DurigonEmail: firstname.lastname@example.orgPhone: 724-539-9777
Courses TaughtSTEM EducationGrades K, 3 and 5LES, BES and MESGrade K : Pushes and Pulls
Grade 3: Forces and Interactions
- Explorations include pushes and pulls of objects of different weights over different surfaces (smooth vs. rough) and different slopes (across a flat surface vs. up a ramp.)
- Students investigate different pushes and pulls on the motion of an object and develop knowledge and skills related to forces of differing strengths and directions.
Students are challenged to refine a design and successfully solve a problem, and they reflect on ways to modify and improve their design.
Grade 5: Robotics and Automation
- Students learn all about forces (pushes and pulls) including friction, gravity and magnetism.
- They study balanced / unbalanced forces and will be able to identify effort forces and resistance forces.
- Investigations that include building simple machines will help them to explore how effort forces can be used to accomplish a job.
- Their design project will include creating and building a compound machine to successfully perform a task.
- Students research the varying definitions of "robot," while exploring the history of robotics.
- They research and prepare a presentation on a particular type of robot (ex: the humanoid robot: Nao).
- Investigations on various inputs and outputs used to build remotely operated robots will help them to explore how these components affect the design and capabilities of robots.
- Their design project will include designing and building a remotely operated robotic vehicle to successfully perform a task.