Greater Latrobe Senior High School
Learning anywhere, anytime, from any deviceGLSD Technology Program - 2018-2019*For Students in Grade 9-12*
Greater Latrobe School District is committed to preparing our students to become lifelong learners and responsible, productive citizens. Technology plays an important role in this process as it has the potential to significantly impact student learning inside, as well as outside the classroom. Our district has a rich history of strongly supporting the effective use of instructional technology and has supported a one-to-one student laptop program since 1999. Our technology program has become an integral part of the classroom experience to support and enhance student achievement as we increase opportunity for learning anywhere, anytime from any device.
The Greater Latrobe School District one-to-one program is designed to provide students with a learning environment that promotes anytime, anywhere learning. All students in grades 9-12 have the opportunity to bring their own personal computing device for educational use throughout the school day. Any student choosing not to bring their own personally owned device will have the option to use a district device with a technology service fee. Additional information on each option is listed below.
Option 1: Technology Use with Service Fee - $125*
Provide students the option of leasing a Chromebook device for a yearly service fee payment of $125.Students are provided:
- Samsung Chromebook 11.6”
- On-site support and maintenance
- Loaner provided in the event of repair/service
*See pricing notes below for eligible students
- Accidental damage protection warranty (ADP). Warranty does NOT cover damage that is intentional or malicious in nature. Please note student is responsible for entire cost where the device is lost or stolen. We encourage you to check with your insurance company for coverage under an existing homeowner's policy or separate plan.
Option 2: Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) - No charge
Provides students the option of bringing their own technology device to school for instructional purposes.Some Key Items to Consider for BYOD:
- What type of device is best?
Lightweight and sturdy
Protective carrying case
Adequate battery power and easy options for recharging
Wireless capabilities for wifi connectivity
Adequate size and readability of the screen
Ability and ease for text input
- Lost, stolen or damaged devices - As with any personal item such as phones, jewelry, etc. GLSD is not responsible in the event these items are lost, stolen, or damaged. We encourage you to check with your homeowners for coverage.
- Technical support for student owned devices is not provided unless it relates to their district wifi connection.
- While there are times that a Smartphone device can be an appropriate BYOD tool, there are limitations with screen size and text input capabilities that should be considered. At times, teachers may require the use of a device in the classroom other than a Smartphone.
Option 3: Both options above can be chosen which allows students the flexibility of using the device most appropriate depending upon classroom activity and their specific need.
Students in both options are provided
- Wifi access - a filtered Internet connection
- Google Apps for Education account with Gmail and Google Drive. This provides necessary applications such as email, word processing, spreadsheet functioning and presentation tools.
STEPS TO TAKE...
If you choose the Technology Use with Service Fee...
Visit the technology office during the dates/times specified above and complete the following...
Technology Resource Use Agreement and BYOD Agreement completed online by both guardian and student. (BYOD Agreement necessary only if student would also like wifi access for additional devices such as a cell phone). PLEASE NOTE: Guardians will complete through the Returning Student Registration process and students will be sent an email form.
$125 payment (check made payable to Greater Latrobe School District)
You will be issued your Chromebook device
Students eligible for the Free lunch program are provided a device at no charge
Students eligible for the Reduced lunch program are provided a device at half cost - $62.50
Families with two or more students in grades 9-12 will be charged $125 for the first student and $75 for each additional student
If you choose BYOD...
Complete the following...
Technology Resource Use Agreement and BYOD Agreement completed online by both guardian and student. PLEASE NOTE: Guardians will complete through the Returning Student Registration process and students will be sent an email form.
Submit the online GLSD Student BYOD Device Registration Form. If you complete this form, you do not need to bring your device to the technology office.
Your device will be registered for use on the GLSD wireless network
BYOD devices must be newly registered each school year
The technology office at the Senior High (room H-122) will be open to distribute Chromebooks and assist with preparing BYOD devices for all students, grades 9-12, on the following dates and times...
Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Friday, August 17, 2018 - 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
If you are unable to visit the technology office during the time frame specified above, you may wait until the start of school and visit any time of the day your schedule permits.
PLEASE NOTE: The Technology Resource Use Agreement and BYOD forms are now completed online. Guardians will complete through the Returning Student Registration process and students will be sent an email form.
Please see Greater Latrobe School District Board Policy No. 815 titled "Use of Technology Resources/Acceptable Use of Internet" for entire policy on our website at the Technology link on the Technology Policies and Forms page.
Additional questions, contact…Rena Reeping, email@example.com or Dr. Robin Pynos, firstname.lastname@example.org - 724-539-4219